Tao Po? by Jen Tarnate
Tao Po: Beyond the Daily Grind

October 1, 2014

Beyond the Daily Grind

This hybrid week of Sept x Oct is a whole new frenzy but before I jump into that, I allotted a cozy space in my day to whip up a post and process the week that was. 

Reviewing photos has been a form of navigation for me. Somewhat giving me an idea of where I was the moment I clicked the shutter to reveal a path to the where I am right now- in my pajamas with my messy hair, still half-asleep and half-writing this entry. And so I pick up from where I left off.

This is series #2 of Days and Confused :)





Monday: (Faulty Landscape by Nilo Ilarde)

The week has destined me for sleepless nights and back-to-back shoots. Such fate requires a certain disposition that can only be achieved through meditation and a good breakfast.

I went alone on a mini field trip to Art Informal Gallery to visit Nilo Ilarde's exhibit, Faulty Landscape. 

"We witness the painters move from painting landscapes to the landscape of painting." Inspired by a found text extracted from an essay by Kevin Power, Nilo created new landscapes by installing an overwhelming collection of artist's painting refuse from caps, tubes, dried paint, and brushes.

It was a massive collection and a really good exhibition. So far, all I've had the patience to collect are bus tickets and my dad's anecdotes.






Tuesday: (Photo Shoot at Manila Central University)
"Beauty" shoots aren't exactly my forte' and I admire those who are really good at shooting in controlled settings. Personally I'm more drawn to documentary and the outdoors. 

I was invited by a friend to do a beauty shoot for a pageant in MCU, and although I was a bit hesitant, it's always refreshing to dabble on things you don't normally get to do.

We didn't have the luxury of a studio, lights, backdrop, and whatnot. Instead, we had a room with white walls and a glass window enough for sunlight to get in. It was perfect. Behold, our makeshift studio :)) 

So of course we took over the room after everyone has left :))


Wednesday and Sunday: (The Clash: Search For the Next Great Dessert Master)

I tried baking once with a friend and I never knew how much of a science it actually is. Honestly, I've never been good at following directions so whenever things have to be precise, I tend to panic. I'm used to just... winging it, haha.

The Clash is a baking competition reality show to hit the screens this November and we're almost done filming. 

As much as I'm learning about the reality of baking, I'm also realizing tons about the reality of television. We might as well have a separate show featuring behind the scenes of those who are behind the scenes. Only, we look like zombies from lack of sleep! Shooting this kind of show is definitely not a piece of cake.






Thursday: (Edits and Caffeine)

I don't have a photo but my Thursday was chiefly spent editing shoots and drinking coffee. Consuming an average of 4-5 cups per day, I am practically powered by caffeine. I know of those who palpitate with just 1 cup, and from a coffee-dependent's point of view, that's quite a tragedy. But then again, I'm like that with alcohol so... touche'. 


Friday: (FYI Network Shoot)

There are quite a number of things I still couldn't bring to light in this blog as they have yet to be aired. I could hear Damien of Mean Girls saying, "That's why her hair is so big, it's full of secrets".

FYI Network is a re-branding of Bio Channel. It's under the group of channels that brings you History, Ci, Lifetime, etc.

This shoot definitely was exciting and one that I genuinely learned a lot from- not only with the people we worked with but also the experience being my first time handling the role of an executive producer. Fancy title, loads of pressure and responsibility, but heaps of fun nevertheless :) 

We worked with make-up artist and host, Bianca Valerio, model and stylist, Vanessa Matsunaga, food writer and author, Lori Baltazar, tailor and owner of White Planes Workshop, Abdulsalam Dimaporo, and raw food chef, surfer, and artist, Mona Lisa Neuboeck

It is through shoots like these that I get to live vicariously the roles I will sadly never get to perform, in this lifetime at least (especially that of a make-up artist and a tailor).







Saturday: (Shoot for Lifetime Asia)
The crew hasn't slept for days and by god, Berocca and coffee are workaholics' best friends. 

Lifetime Asia teamed up with us to do a shoot with Anne Curtis. Same with what we did with FYI Network, these videos will be aired in several countries in Asia. By now I'm used to shifting roles so here I played the part of a photographer. The photos to be used as print materials. :>

Admittedly, I was thrilled to work with Anne (feeling close?). And although she's too "showbiz" for my taste, she's actually really nice and a delight to work with :) She kept on singing Bang Bang (by Jessie J, Ariana Grande, and Nicki Minaj) and this resulted in a really bad case of LSS! When you meet her in person it's like you're still watching her on a TV screen. If that makes any sense.









After Everything: (Hibernation)

It's nice to wrap the week up surrounded by pillows, curled up in a ball, reading a good book (currently: Skinny Legs and All), leafing through magazines (all of which I got for a bargain- god bless Book Sale), drinking a cup of tea with no rush, and watching a documentary, War is a Tender Thing, made by a friend, Adjani Arumpac which was screened at CineTotoo.





Really trying (mostly for my sanity and short attention span's sake) to live a life beyond the daily grind. Also documenting the days so that they don't end up in a blur.

So when you ask me what my week is like, I hope you understand when I tell you it's quite hard to say. And honestly, I wouldn't have it any other way :)


No comments :

Post a Comment