Tao Po? by Jen Tarnate
Tao Po: All is Swell

October 11, 2016

All is Swell



"You have to find that place that brings out the human in you, the soul in you, the love in you." R.M. Drake








It  was 2011. I remember I was resting on the surfboard with my arms dangling in the water. I told my friend, King, how beautiful it is to experience the sunset that way. He tells me that's how they usually have it. 

I asked him if he ever had thoughts of moving to somewhere else. He tells me, "Hanggang may alon sa Baler, hindi ko ito iiwan." ("So long as there are waves in Baler, I'll never leave")

That was 5 years ago. Up to this day, I keep on coming back. 



Vulnerable. That's what you are when you paddle out into the wide open sea to come face to face with waves bigger than you. How insignificant we are in the presence of nature. 

The sea rewards the brave with the tiniest glimpse of freedom.

So we paddle out again for more. 




In every visit, I learn something new-




cooking (or at least chopping vegetables),


gathering paco (fern)



catching and cleaning fish...


One day, I was trying to crack open a coconut husk to get the juice when I looked at my hands. I realized that in the city, for the most part, I use them differently- for typing, writing, swiping, tapping, pushing. 

I noticed how I use my body differently when I'm in the province than when I'm in Manila. I've developed a newfound appreciation for my hands, my feet, my eyes and grew a deeper understanding of manual work and movement. 






"Nandun sa dagat, naglalaro..." ("Out in sea, playing..."), I usually hear them say when I look for someone. It means that person's out surfing. 

I also noticed how people take the time to watch the waves. "4pm. Ganitong oras kami dati dumadaan sa dagat, pagkalabas namin galing sa klase" ("4pm. This is usually the time we pass by the sea, after classes"). 

How beautiful it is to find a place where play is part of the everyday, and where consciousness is forever tied to the waves; fully connected to nature.

I understand why there is no need to leave. You have everything you need to stay afloat. 






Away from the city, the crowd, and the concrete...



in our little adopted hometown, we've witnessed friends turn into families, good times into memories, dreams into realities.



That's how life rolls. We're all just learning to ride the waves.










Friendship bound by the waves and tested through time, I'd like to send my infinite gratitude to my beautiful friends in Baler

for the stories we continue to share, the karaoke nights, the surf sessions, the motorbike rides under the blanket of stars, the cooking lessons, and the family that we've become

and to the ocean

for its hospitality.












*All photos taken in 2011-2016 with Canon 7D, Samsung Note 5 camera phone, and Go Pro. 

No comments :

Post a Comment