Tao Po? by Jen Tarnate
Tao Po: The Mystery of the Shrunken Clothes

February 7, 2016

The Mystery of the Shrunken Clothes

When I was young, I had a favorite top that I liked wearing. One day, my mom said that it was already small and it doesn't fit me anymore. In my 4 year-old mind, I honestly thought that clothes shrink and shrink until they disappear. I wanted to know where clothes went when they're no longer visible to the naked eye. Could they be in the same place where all the lost things are- the items never to be found again?

I turned a year older a few weeks ago. I am now 25.

I suddenly remembered my weird childhood theories and the mystery of the shrunken clothes. Of course I now know that clothes don't get smaller, instead we grow bigger.

But my now 25-year old mind still has a lot of questions. I wonder, what about memories? Where do memories go- those never to be remembered again? 

Through the years, I've learned to really put value in moments. Moments that eventually turn into compiled short stories that define us. 

So for fear of forgetting, I'm stitching together 25 photos from my 2015 into new narratives that somehow make more sense to me. They've come to evolve into these humble crumbs of "wisdom", that I've picked up along the way.





In traveling, you meet people and they tell you about the truth. And the truth is- your truths do not necessarily apply to everyone. They're yours, but they're not universal. 

And it's okay.





Sometimes, the things you dread the most become the exact same things you end up chasing in a few years time. 

I remember when I was in college, I was shit-scared of directing. But somewhere along the way, we stumble on a divergent path or at least we learn to manage fear, and we end up pursuing what we've been dodging all along. 

And I'm really grateful for the people who've been trusting me enough so I can practice and learn, little by little.




You know those places you've always known you'd visit, but didn't expect that it would happen sooner? That was Batanes for me. 

And the moment I saw the vast ocean in front of me and realized I was on the Northern edge of the Philippines, I learned to trust that dreams do, in fact, come true. 




Being given the opportunity to traverse borders and visit countries other than ours, we come across this beautiful reminder that we are but infinitesimal details in this infinite universe.





I'm slowly learning what it means to live simply. 

I realized that we spend so much time grasping for air when actually we have everything we need to stay afloat.





Remember to carry your childhood with you wherever you go. It keeps you open for the strangest, most interesting adventures.



You can never fully accomplish anything alone, no matter how hard you hustle. 

Check your privilege. Thank your friends. ALWAYS. 



You have to be good. As in really, really good, for the people you consider family. 

No matter the process.

And whatever happens, enjoy :)


I tell myself this year, like I've done for the past years- "Be brave with your life."

Always, I pray that no matter how many clothes/people/ideas we outgrow, we thrive for new ways of seeing, understanding, and connecting. May we continue to imagine and re-imagine 'reality' through elevated consciousness. And may we persist in crafting and testing our personal theories of how this weird world works. I'd like to know yours :)

**Photos taken using Canon 7D and camera phones.

No comments :

Post a Comment