Tao Po? by Jen Tarnate
Tao Po: "And I Also Don't Know How to Cook": LA-Vegas Travel Diary

July 16, 2017

"And I Also Don't Know How to Cook": LA-Vegas Travel Diary

My days are like Rihanna's style- sometimes too much, sometimes too little, other days on point, always on freestyle.

The thing they say about training the brain the way you exercise any other muscle in your body is for real. I've been trying to draft some sort of routine in this otherwise Bad Girl Riri schedule. So far I've succeeded tricking this squishy part in my skull to start reading every day, do Pilates, drink diluted apple cider vinegar, and wake up each morning grateful for the dreams that night, for the day that was, and the day ahead.

Now 'writing' on the other hand is my prodigal son. And I've decided to go fetch him rather than wait around the whole day and rejoice for his monumental comeback.


After a hissy fit and a lot of searching, here we are finally with another blog post. Hopefully the next one won't be as much of a riot to bring home.  


The Broad Museum

Eji at the Griffith Observatory

 
Sta. Monica

 
Takashi Murakami's Painting, The Broad Museum

 
(L) Venice Beach Canals, (R) Ayie navigating around Disneyland

 
Joseph Beuys, The Broad Museum 


There are 3 things I normally seek when I travel- art, coffee, and randomly talking to locals (which luckily people haven't found creepy yet).

 Mark Rothko, LACMA

 Artist and Fleas Market in Downtown LA


 Artist and Fleas Market in Downtown LA


Fangirling over Jean-Michel Basquiat at The Broad Museum


 Pablo Picasso and Diego Rivera Retrospective Exhibit, LACMA (The kid too cool to care)


The Treachery of Images by Rene' Magritte (one of my favorite paintings of all time), LACMA (I literally just stood there for almost half an hour.)

Ayie, (my lovely travel partner) on the other hand is into finding the best spots to drink, chill, and listen to good music.

Bring us both to the beach  and we'll both be fine. 

 Ayie at the Getty Villa


 Artist and Fleas Market in Downtown LA


 Angel City Brewery in Downtown LA


Ayie and Anna during happy hour at the Venice Beach 


Newport Beach, Orange County (OC)

It's my first time to ever set foot in America yet LA felt so familiar.

It's  like meeting someone for the first time but seemed like we've known each other since forever. 

Not much adjustments had to be made, except for the cold.

(L) Finding home in a kid's room, (R) Our little artist, Anika


 Venice Canals with the Dizons


 Cheska doing gymnastics 


 Funnel Cake from Sta. Monica Beach


With cousins, one of those blurry nights (Cerritos, LA)

I actually had to wear thermals and a sweater to the beach. 

 Jen pretending not to feel cold in Venice Beach


 Venice Beach (I cannot imagine surfing in this weather though)


 (L) Jen, Lolo Kid, and Ate PJ in Newport Beach, (R) Anika collecting shells 


Venice Beach Canals

In my mind was La La Land- the glitz, the ambition, the tap dancing, the falling head over heels in love with someone who plays the piano...

 Griffith Observatory


 Eji the Ninja Cat at the LACMA Lights


 Jen at an overlooking parking view along Mulholland Drive (I was thinking of David Lynch the whole time)


 Disneyland


 Disneyland

...but as we couchsurfed our way to different Filipino households in the US, I realized  that it's never dreamy (even if it was the dream), especially being uprooted from one's country. But we also bloom where we are re-planted and we learn to grow in unfamiliar soil.

Oh, and if you're ever wondering, yes their houses really smell like Balikbayan Boxes too. (It had to be said)

 Anika's masterpiece


 Sia loving the doggos <3




(L) catching up with Jaime, (R) with cousins in Ate Chi's baby shower

Las Vegas also felt oddly comforting, especially with its strangeness and its kitsch.

My uncle drove me to Vegas from LA for a good 4 hours to meet the rest of the family whom I haven't seen since I was 7.  

I am now 26. There we were, compressing 19 years of suppressed hugs and questions in between stories. 

"You remind me of your mother. You look a lot like her." My aunt would say.
I would proudly agree and add "Yes, I do. And I also don't know how to cook."

 (L) My very first snowman, (R) Goodies from Las Vegas

 Mt. Charleston, Snow Mountain



(L) With my nephew who's all grown up now! (R) with cousins at the Freemont Experience


 Red Rock Canyon


 Ninong Nelson and Lolo John at the Vegas International Airport (Yes, slot machines everywhere)


 Red Rock Canyon 

It's strange to realize that we can feel at home in this side of the world, 11,793 Km away from where I come from.  

I've made it a habit to whisper under my breath a short "thank you" for everything the Universe allows me to witness. It doesn't owe me anything and yet it continues to give.

Thank you for my awesome travel and beer-drinking buddy (who endured our many drunken nights and long museum trips), for the chance to see my family after so long, and  for the genuine and infinitely interesting people I've met- all whom I'm keeping in a warm and cozy memory box in my head.  

I'll think about you on stormy days.
Hoping to see and hug you all. Until we meet again. 

 Ayie in Venice Beach Canal


 Jen fulfilling a basic childhood dream in Disneyland


Dreamy view of LA from the Griffith Observatory

No comments :

Post a Comment